Tuesday, July 17, 2007

The Trouble With Tribbles

My friend and colleague, Katherine, and I go monthly to do story time for the residents in the local nursing home, Laurelwood. Just before leaving she told me that one of our 'regulars' at each performance, Cleo, had passed away suddenly on July 5th. I was so shocked and saddened to learn this. I've been doing story time there for the past two years, and this is the first time I have had to experience the loss of one of 'our own.'

It occurred to me in some vague corner of my mind that I might have to face this prospect some day, but I guess I hoped that it would be later rather than sooner. Just two weeks before her death, our Cleo was sitting in her wheelchair, as usual, enjoying using the puppet I had given her to participate in the story, "Who's in Rabbit's Hole?" I remember commenting to Katherine how she "really got into her role!"

I will always miss seeing Cleo in our story time audience. I will miss her feistiness, her quick wit, and her enthusiasm, but most of all, I know Katherine and I will miss our friend...Cleo.

"To every thing there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven." (Ecclesiastes 3:1 KJV) This, in the Star Trek vernacular, is "The Trouble With Tribbles."

No comments: